Spitfire MkVb BM597
Combat veteran, Spitfire Mk.Vb, (G-MKVB), BM597. One of 1000 aircraft built at Castle Bromwich against contract B981687/39, BM597 was delivered to No.37 M.U. at Burtonwood on 26 February 1942, being assigned to 315 Sqn on 7 May 1942 and on to 317 Sqn on 5 September 1942, both at Woodvale. On 13 February 1943, it suffered Cat B damage and was removed for repair on 28 February. It was ready for collection again on 2 June and No. 33 M.U. took delivery and on 9 June it was allocated to Vickers Armstrong for an undisclosed purpose. It returned to No.39 M.U. Colerne on 23 November before moving to No. 222 M.U.High Ercall (Packing Depot) on 4 January 1944 and then back to No. 39 M.U. on 14 April. It was stored there for almost a year until it was issued to No. 58 OTU, its last operational unit from which it was retired on 16 October 1945. It was then transferred to instructional airframe status at No. 4 S of TT, St Athan as 5713M.
Image dimensions: 4237 x 2455 pixels